The Magic: the Gathering® 2008 Canada National Championship will be held on August 2-3 at the Hilton Montréal Bonaventure Hotel in Montréal, Québec. Canada National Open events (“Grinders”) will take place on August 1.
Hilton Montreal Bonaventure
900 de La Gauchetiere W.
The Montreal Bonaventure Hilton has a special room rate for players:
- Single Occupancy: $209
- Double Occupancy $209
- Triple Occupancy $229
- Quad Occupancy $249
Room rates are quoted exclusive of applicable state and local taxes or applicable service, or hotel specific fees in effect at the Hotel at the time of the meeting.
In order to secure this rate, players must call the Montreal Bonaventure Hilton Reservation Department at +1-800-HILTONS. You can also book online on the Hilton web site.
Players must indicate that they are attending "Magic Nationals".
Reservations are based on availability.
Public Events Information
Come one; come all to participate in three days of events open to the public. Starting Friday with the Canadian National Open Tournaments (Grinders), there are tournaments and drafts all weekend. There are events for every type of Magic player – Pro Tour-Berlin Qualifier, Canadian Legacy Championships, Drafts, Generic Grand Prix Trial, Win a "Wii" tournament and an unsanctioned 32-person Multiplayer free-for-all!
The Magic: the Gathering® Canadian National Championship is an invitation-only event, open to citizens or permanent residents of Canada who have won an invitation to Nationals through DCI ratings or from qualifying events such as Regional or City Championships.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete in Canadian Nationals. The form can be downloaded on the Wizards website and will be available onsite.
Minors (those under 18 years of age) must have a parent or guardian's signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions!
Bring these forms with you to registration. We will make forms available for competitors at registration, if necessary.
To register, all participants must present one of the following forms of identification:
- A driver's license, or
- A passport, or
- A copy of a birth certificate and photo ID (school IDs are acceptable)
Players not registered by 8:30 AM on August 2nd may be denied entry to Canadian Nationals.
Registration Locations and Times
There will be signs posted directing you to the registration location. If you have questions, one of the Wizards of the Coast staff members will happily assist you. Canadian Nationals players can register at the following times and locations:
4 pm - 7 pm Friday, August 1st inside the tournament hall.
All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Standard and Booster Draft
- 2 Shadowmoor™ booster packs and 1 Eventide™ booster pack will be used for drafting
- Deck lists are required
- Check www.thedci.com for Standard and Booster Draft format rules
- Day 1 will consist of 3 rounds of Standard, 3 rounds of Booster Draft, followed by the second draft and 1 round of Swiss play.
- Day 2 will consist of 2 rounds of Booster Draft, 3 rounds of Standard, and the Top 8 finals.
- 12 Swiss Rounds total, 60 minutes per round
- Top 8 will be Standard
- Top 8 single-elimination finals have no time limit; however, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 90 minutes.
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds
- After round 12 the top 8 players advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals
- Standard format
- Top 8 matches will be best 3 of 5
- The Top 4 players receive invitations to the 2008 World Championships.
- The top 3 players will make up the Canada National Team
- The 4th place player will be the alternate for the Canada National Team
- 40K, REL Professional
- Players are required to use the same Standard deck for day 1, day 2, and Top 8.
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Players are responsible for knowing all DCI rules and high-level tournament rules
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters
8:45 AM: Seating for player meeting posted
9:00 AM: Mandatory Player meeting begins.
9:15 AM: 3 rounds of Standard, followed by 3 rounds of Booster Draft, followed by the second Booster Draft and 1 round of Swiss play.
8:45 AM: Seating for player meeting posted
9:00 AM: Mandatory Player meeting begins
9:15 AM: Second Booster Draft begins. 2 rounds of Booster Draft play, followed by 3 rounds of Standard, followed by the top 8 single-elimination finals.
Prizes and Pro Points
All prizes are paid in U.S. Dollars