Date: August 25-26, 2012
Format: Magic 2013 Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
DCU Convention Center
50 Foster St
Worcester, MA 01608
Friday, August 24: 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday, August 25: 8 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Grand Prix Boston-Worcester will be an exciting opportunity for competitive and casual Magic players alike. The sealed format will allow you to build your collection and hone your card-selection and deck-construction skills as you compete against players from around the world. This event features Magic 2013 Limited play, and the Planeswalker Points modifier of 8x will send your points soaring.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday, all with a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x. Card dealers from around the country will be on hand to help you round out your unique collection, and we also have an amazing Artists Alley. Whether you come to win, enjoy the spectacle, play in the side events, or just have a great time, there’s plenty for everyone.
TJ Collectibles and Wizards of the Coast proudly present Grand Prix Boston-Worcester. Visit www.tjcollect.com for updates and more details about the event schedule and activities.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Return to Ravnica in Seattle.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Magic 2013 Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, August 24: Registration – 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, August 25: Registration – 8 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Saturday, August 25: Tournament begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, August 26: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Boston-Worcester is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck (6 packs of Magic 2013)
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (3 packs of Magic 2013)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
If you wish to volunteer as a judge or supporting staff member for Grand Prix Boston-Worcester, please contact our Judge Coordinator here.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, August 24
Format: Sealed Deck, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Noon - 8 p.m.
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Boston-Worcester and 18 Magic 2013 booster packs, second place wins 18 Magic 2013 booster packs, third and fourth place each win 9 Magic 2013 booster packs.
Other Grand Prix Boston-Worcester Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Boston-Worcester.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Boston-Worcester Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
For the latest updated schedule for the weekend's public events, please visit the TJ's website.
Mark Tedin and rk post will be in attendance at Grand Prix Boston-Worcester.
Other Hall Attractions
There will be an awesome array of vendors at Grand Prix Boston-Worcester all ready to get you those last-minute cards, sleeves, playmats and other great Magic items. Check the TJs website to find the latest information on scheduled vendors.
The DCU Center will also have areas set aside for Magic: The Gathering demonstrations, gunslingers and casual play. For limited periods over the weekend you will also be able to view a number of Magic: The Gathering original works of art from various artists.
A block of rooms has been reserved in these area hotels at a special price:
- Hilton Garden Inn
35 Major Taylor Boulevard, Worcester, MA 01608
- Suburban Extended Stay Hotel: Quality Inn and Suite
50 Oriol Drive, Worcester MA 01605
Ph: 508 852 2800 ext 700
Fax: 508 852 4605
Use the group name "GP Worcester" when making a reservation.
Grand Prix Boston-Worcester takes place in the DCU Convention Center, located in beautiful downtown Worcester, MA. For those of you who are wondering just how to pronounce the name, think of it as being spelled "Whista", and you'll be saying it like a native! The Convention Center is located in the heart of the downtown area. There are many available restaurants, ATM's and hotels in walking distance.
The best part of getting to Grand Prix Boston-Worcester is how accessible it is via public transportation! Follow this link to access driving directions to the DCU Convention Center.
TF Green International Airport in Warwick, RI, and Logan Airport in Boston are both less than 1 hour away.
Both Logan and TF Green have rail service to downtown Worcester, just a few blocks from the Convention Center.
From Logan: take the SilverLine 1 bus to South station. Transfer to the Framingham/Worcester train and get off at the historic Union Station.
From TF Green: Take the Providence/Stoughton train to South Station. Transfer to the Framingham/Worcester train and get off at the historic Union Station.
Both major airports offers connecting train service to Worcester, and the station is just a few blocks from the Convention Center.
You can also take the Amtrak train to Boston and connect directly to the Framingham/Worcester line.
Amtrak also offers daily service directly to Worcester's historic Union Station.
Union Station, Worcester's historic transportation center, features train, taxi as well as intra and inter-City bus service. Union Station offers services for the Peter Pan and Greyhound bus lines.
Driving by Car
The DCU Convention Center is conveniently located just off Interstate 290 in Worcester. Parking is available for $8.00 a day at the Convention Center parking garage, no overnight parking.
If you are driving from the airport, follow these directions. Public Transportation
The WRTA, the Worcester Regional Transit Authority, is your link to the city's most popular destinations. Enjoy Worcester the environmentally sensitive way, avoid the parking hassles and reach the city's key attractions.
WRTA hybrid bus technology features reduced emissions, which results in cleaner air. They offer several convenient routes to take you to Worcester's restaurants, hotels, theaters, universities, historic sites, shopping and more. Cost: $1.50 per person per Ride or $3.50 for a whole day. (See the WRTA webpage for schedule and information.)
Since many players combine a Grand Prix weekend with vacation time both before and after the event, we've assembled a small collection of links about the city and some of its points of interest.
From upscale bistros to alfresco dining to historic inns specializing in time-honored New England cuisine, there is truly something in Worcester to satisfy everyone's taste. Whether it is American, Italian, Chinese, Middle Eastern or Mexican, you're sure to find a memorable dining experience. These restaurants come highly recommended as excellent places to get some delicious food and chill out after a competitive day of slinging spells.
Shopping and Attractions: Worcester and the surrounding region offer a wide array of arts and cultural showplaces including museums, theatres and performing arts venues, as well as a variety of specialty shops and malls. Discover the hottest places in Worcester, a region of rich heritage and an even brighter future!
Tournament Organizer: TJ Collectibles
Web site: www.tjcollect.com
Venue AddressDCU Convention Center
50 Foster Street
Worcester, MA 01608