Date: December 1-2, 2012
Format: Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Tejo Hall – Pavilhao Atlantico
Rossio dos Olivais, Lote 2.13.01A
1990-231 Lisbon, Portugal
Registration: € 40
Friday, November 30: 14:00 to 22:00
Saturday, December 1: 08:00 to 09:00
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, is a truly historic city that can date its lineage back thousands of years. However, the heart of Lisbon comes alive after midnight as it boasts a thriving night life. With a varied mix of restaurants, bars and clubs, Lisbon has something for everyone.
Pavilhão Atlântico is set in the heart of the Parque das Nações grounds and benefits from a privileged location. Car access is excellent thanks to its location in the vicinity of the confluence of major roadways serving the Eastern sector of Lisbon, such as the CRIL ring road, the Vasco da Gama Bridge over the Tagus, and the North-South Highway. In addition, it benefits from the proximity to major, modern public transport infrastructure which includes a River Terminal and the Oriente Station, a public transport hub linking the Lisbon Underground, CP railways services, Carris bus services, Taxi services, and various road transport companies, plus a direct shuttle service to Lisbon International Airport (5 minutes away).
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Gatecrash.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck / Booster Draft.
Participation Fee: €40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, November 30: Registration 14:00 to 22:00
- Saturday, December 1: Registration 08:00 to 09:00
- Saturday, December 1: Tournament begins at 09:30
- Sunday, December 2: Day Two begins at 08:00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Lisbon is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed consent form to participate in Grand Prix Lisbon. Forms can be found here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Consent forms will be collected during the player meeting on Saturday morning.
Day 1: Sealed Deck (6 packs of Return to Ravnica)
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (3 packs of Return to Ravnica)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges for Grand Prix Lisbon are Kevin Desprez and Carlos Ho. Judges interested in working at this event should submit an application through the Magic judge website.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, November 30
Format: Standard and Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck, 32-person single-elimination flights
Start Time: 12:00 (last trial begins at 18:00)
Cost: €10 (Standard) and €25 (Sealed)
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up, registration closes 15 minutes prior to each trial. Registration for the final trial closes at 18:00. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Lisbon.
Other Grand Prix Lisbon Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Lisbon.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Lisbon Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
Trial winners are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday, such as big Legacy, Standard and Sealed Deck events, Chaos drafts, Two-Headed Giant events, drafts, and more. Complete information on public events can be found at www.gordianknotgames.com.
Igor Kieryluk and Johannes Voss will be in attendance.
Other Hall Attractions
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 pm we start the Magic Game Show starring Richard Hagon. Registration is free and you can win cool Magic goodies. Teams can be comprised of between 1 and 4 people.
Arriving by Plane
Parque das Nações is an area that avails a wide variety of public transport. It is also very close to Lisbon International Airport, and the airport shuttle service departs from the TAP-Air Portugal store at Oriente Station.
Arriving by Train
The local station is Oriente and is accessible from both the underground and local rail network.
Arriving by Car
There are several car parks close to the venue. The park itself has excellent connections to the CRIL ring road, the Vasco da Gama Bridge over the Tagus, and the North-South Highway.
Tournament Organizer: Wizards of the Coast Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Email: Wizards of the Coast | Gordian Knot Games
Phone:+44207 193 6603
Tejo Hall – Pavilhao Atlantico
Rossio dos Olivais, Lote 2.13.01A
1990-231 Lisbon, Portugal
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk