Date: April 21-22, 2012
Format: Innistrad / Dark Ascension Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Manchester M2 3GX
Friday, April 20: 14.00 – 22.30
Saturday, April 21: 08.00 – 09.00
Entrance to the hall is free.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
The United Kingdom has many great cities but none are as much fun as Manchester. A Grand Prix Manchester is in the centre of town, you'll be able to experience it all—home of two of the UK's greatest football teams, it also has a thriving nightlife and some awesome attractions.
Getting to and from Manchester is also very simple as its international airport connects to most major European cities. Also, you can arrive via the train by traveling on Eurostar to London and getting a direct train to Manchester.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour 2012 Return to Ravnica in Seattle.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Innistrad/Dark Ascension Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: £35
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, Aprl 20: Registration 14.00 – 22.00
- Saturday, April 21: Registration 08.00 – 09.00
- Saturday, April 21: Tournament begins at 09.30
- Sunday, April 22: Day Two begins at 08.00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Manchester is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Day 1: Sealed Deck (3 packs of Innistrad, 3 packs of Dark Ascension)
Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (1 pack of Dark Ascension, 2 packs of Innistrad drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges for this event will be Kevin Desprez and Carlos Ho.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, April 20
Format: Innistrad / Dark Ascension Sealed Deck and Standard, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: 12:00 - 18:00
Cost: £25 fpr Sealed Deck; £10 for Standard
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
New tournaments will begin every time 32 players sign up. First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Manchester. There will also be additional booster pack prizes.
Other Grand Prix Manchester Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Manchester.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Winners of Grand Prix Manchester Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
In addition to the main event, there will be Magic tournaments in a variety of formats running from Friday to Sunday. More Information on public events, artists and other attractions will be published by Gordian Knot Games on their website.
Volkan Baga will be in attendance at Grand Prix Manchester. An additional artist may be announced at a later date.
Other Hall Attractions
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 p.m. we start the Magic Game Show with our host Richard Hagon. It’s a Magic quiz you can participate with a team of 1 to 4 people. All you need to do is bring your friends! Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies.
Win Cool Magic Prizes in the Raffle!
Enter in the free raffle and win Path of the Planeswalker graphic anthologies, laptop bags, foil boosters, free draft vouchers or other cool Magic prizes. All you need to do is fill out the raffle form and drop it in the box before 3 p.m. on Saturday or 3 p.m. on Sunday. Winners will be announced during the next break between rounds. Only one entry per person. When you have entered the raffle on Saturday, you are automatically included in the raffle on Sunday.
Duels of the Planeswalkers
For those that haven't tried it yet, Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox LIVE® Arcade will be available to play throughout the event.
Although trading is both allowed and encouraged, please note that the following things are not permitted at this event:
- Buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s)
- Soliciting to buy/sell cards elsewhere
- Advertising without receiving permission from Wizards of the Coast’s on-site Event Manager
- Utilizing an excessive amount of space when trading
- Using suitcases, handcarts, luggage carts, etc. for the purpose of transporting excessive amounts of trade stock.
Please note that failure to obey these rules may result in all involved parties being both removed from the event without refund, and banned from attending future events.
Arriving by Plane
Manchester International Airport is under 10 miles from the event venue taking approximately 25 minutes by taxi, or alternatively there is a direct half-hourly express rail service to the city centre that takes approximately 20 minutes.
Arriving by Train/Metrolink
Manchester has direct rail connections to all major UK cities – London is just over two hours away by train. Services come into the city at either Piccadilly or Victoria station, both of which connect to Manchester’s Metrolink light-rail system which provides easy access to all parts of the city centre. Take the Metrolink from either Piccadilly or Victoria (in the Altrincham or Eccles direction) and alight at St Peter’s Square, which is within a 5-minute walk of Manchester Central. You can also take advantage of the free Metroshuttle bus that travels between the two stations across the city centre.
Arriving by Car
Manchester is at the heart of the Northwest’s motorway network with easy access from all directions onto the M60, the city’s orbital motorway. Once on the M60 exit at Junction 12 and join the M602 signposted towards the city centre. Follow the A57 straight on from the end of the M602 passing under a railway bridge before taking the left hand exit to merge onto the A56 Bridgewater Way. Turn right onto Whitworth Street West at Deansgate station and then turn left onto Albion Street. The entrance to the Manchester Central Car Park is through the next set of traffic lights on the left, opposite The Bridgewater Hall.
If you are using sat nav, type in M2 3GX which will take you to the car park at Manchester Central.
Tournament Organizer: Wizards of the Coast and Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Glen@GordianKnotGames.co.uk
Manchester M2 3GX, United Kingdom
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk