At this time, the DCI Judge Program would like to hear from judges interested in working at Worlds in Rome 2009 (including Public Events or as volunteers). We have a number of sponsorship opportunities for judges at Worlds held November 19 – 22.
We are looking for hardworking judges who would like an opportunity to gain experience working with some of the best players and judges in the world. Working at an event like this is also a great way to gain the experience needed to build skills and advance within the DCI Judge Program. It's also a chance to see other areas of the world and make friends who share your interests. The sponsorship application process is now open and will close Friday, September 11, for full, room, and travel sponsorships. We will continue to take volunteers after this date (though early volunteers are preferred).
If you wish to apply for sponsorship for this event, you must email the DCI Judge Program via John Carter at John.Carter@wizards.com. Please use "Worlds 2009 Judge Application" in the subject line.
* Able to work 7:45AM Thursday until Sunday 10PM.
* Have up-to-date contact information with the DCI.
* Must be 18 years of age or older for sponsorship. Under 18 may volunteer.
* Able to judge long hours with little sleep and few breaks. Days usually include 10 to 12 hours of work.
* Able to perform physically demanding jobs relating to tournament setup.
* Fluent enough in English to operate at a Magic tournament.
* Highly proficient with current Magic rules and current with DCI policies.
* Willing and able to assist the event staff as required with additional duties which may include registration, folding table cloths, floor maintenance, radio check-in/out, etc.
* Must be able to respond to emails within 72 hours with regards to travel arrangements and scheduling.
* Will be required to submit reviews on fellow judges after the event.
What is Expected?
* You will bring four days of judging attire, including a DCI Judge Polo, black pants, and black shoes. Judge shirts will be available onsite while supplies last.
* You will judge the main event and / or public events Thursday morning through Sunday evening. This will require very long days with minimal breaks. Some schedules may include working public events past midnight.
* You will prepare for the event thoroughly by reviewing all available rules, policies, and procedures and by responding to the organizers as required within 72 hours.
What is Not Paid For? (This is a partial list of common assumptions.)
* Meals (Each Judge will receive a small lunch per diem or some but not all food will be provided).
* Taxi, bus, or train fares, etc.
* Hotel room incidentals (room service, movies, laundry, etc).
* Ticket change fees (if you change your ticket, you pay all related fees).
Room Sponsorship Information:
* You will be sharing a hotel room with at least one other judge.
* Additional guests including other judges, spouses, friends, volunteers, players, and significant others are not permitted to stay with you.
* Your hotel will be paid for starting the day before the event until the event is completed. If you wish to stay longer or arrive earlier, you must make these arrangements for yourself.
* Judge testing for level 1 – 3 will be available. L3 testing requires additional paperwork. L1 and L2 test recommends advance notice to make optimal arrangements.
Due to limited time and staff, candidates wishing to be tested may not always be tested.
* This is not like a vacation, this is like work. It can be very rewarding and valuable, but it is hard work.
* If you are not chosen, don't take it personally. More judges apply for spaces than are available, and any given selection is based on event and program needs, not personal preferences.
* Your name
* Your DCI number
* Your Level
* Sponsorship desired—Full, Room, Travel, or Volunteer
* Languages you speak fluently or near fluently
* Any special requirements you have
* L2 applicants: How would to rate the usefulness of the judge pyramid?
* L3 applicants: How would to rate the usefulness of the judge pyramid?
* To apply for Level 3 testing (limited availability, incomplete L3 testing applications are rejected):
- Take a L3 Practice Test in the Judge Center and include your score in your application
- If your score was not passing, detail what you will do to improve it prior to the event
- Include the name and email of the Level 3+ judge who is your mentor
- Contact your mentor and ask them to submit a L3 evaluation review via the Judge Center
Useful Event Information...
November 19 - 22
The Tournament Venue and Staff Hotel:
Palazzo Dei Congressi (entire facility)
P.l.e J.F. Kennedy
Hotel Dei Congressi
Viale Shakespeare, 29
00144 Roma (RM), Italy
+39 06 5926021
Please send your sponsorship request to the DCI Judge Program via John.Carter@wizards.com with "Worlds 2009 Judge Application" in the subject.
The deadline to apply is Friday, September 11.
DCI Judge Coordinator
Wizards of the Coast