Date: January 12-13, 2013
Atlantic City Convention Center
One Convention Boulevard
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Friday, January 11: Noon - 8 p.m.
Check out the Sleep-in Special!
Saturday, January 12: 7 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Big things come in small packages and Atlantic City packs a big punch! As the East Coast’s premier destination resort, Atlantic City annually attracts millions of visitors who come to town for world-class entertainment, gaming, dining, and shopping. Atlantic City has everything you could possibly want in a destination and yet now it has even more! There is a new game in town!
Join Professional Event Services at the first Grand Prix in Atlantic City and make your own history! The Grand Prix is located right in the heart of the city, just a stroll from myriad restaurants and within minutes of train and bus stations and the expressway. "The Walk", with over 100 retail shops, outlets, restaurants & entertainment shops, is just next door!
Grand Prix Atlantic City is open to the public and all players are invited to come and participate! In addition to the main event, the Grand Prix Atlantic City weekend offers one of the largest schedules of side events ever brought to a Grand Prix. Prominent Magic artist Steven Belledin will be on hand for free signings of your favorite cards, plus you’ll have the opportunity to buy prints and even original artwork. More artists will be announced as well as artist booth times.
Be sure to check out the special $115 rate at the Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center hotel, attached to the venue. Details are listed in the Travel Information section below.
Start your 2013 season off on the right foot by building your Lifetime, Competitive, and Professional Planeswalker Points with Grand Prix Atlantic City’s PWP multiplier of 8x and side-event PWP multipliers of 3x!
|| Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Atlantic City at DailyMTG.com, ggslive.com, and Twitch.tv with Rashad Miller, Marshall Sutcliffe, Ben Swartz, and Nate Price. The live video stream will start at approximately 1:30 p.m. ET Saturday.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Dragon's Maze in San Diego (May 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, January 11: Registration Noon – 8 p.m.
- Saturday, January 12: Registration 7 am - 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, January 12: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, January 13: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Atlantic City is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required.
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judge of this event is Scott Marshall. If you are a judge interested in volunteering, please submit an application through Judge Apps here. If you have any questions regarding judging, please contact John Alderfer at email@example.com. We are accepting applicants until December 7, 2012. Send your applications early! Judge certification will be available on site. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and to arrange your certification.
Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Last-Chance Trials: Friday, January 11
Format: Standard, and Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck, 32-person single-elimination flights
Times: Standard Noon - 8 p.m., events start each time 32 players sign up
Sealed Deck 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. flights (registration opens 1 hour before each), maximum of 32 players in each
Cost: $20 Standard, $25 Sealed Deck
Planeswalker Points Multiplier: 3x
First place wins a three-round bye in Grand Prix Atlantic City and a free Sleep-in Special. Additional prizes in the form of booster packs given to top finishers.
Other Grand Prix Atlantic City Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers one three-round bye to Grand Prix Chicago.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Atlantic City Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Got some byes? Want to get an extra couple hours of sleep instead of showing up at the venue early for the player meeting? Have we got a deal for you! If you have byes and register Friday night, you will be allowed to verify your byes during registration. Once confirmed, you will be eligible for the “Sleep-In Special" for an additional charge of $10. Also, your decklist MUST be given to our registration staff before the end of the player meeting on Saturday morning. You may give this to our staff when you register or at any time on Friday, you may send it with a friend, or you may email your list to us at email@example.com. If we do not have a list, you will receive the appropriate penalties.
You may ONLY skip the player meeting if you paid for the Sleep-In Special.
Required reporting time on Saturday, based on number of byes:
- 1 Bye: 11 a.m.
- 2 Byes: 12 p.m. (noon)
- 3 Byes: 1 p.m.
Prominent Magic artist Steven Belledin will be on hand for free signings of your favorite cards, plus you’ll have the opportunity to buy prints and even original artwork. Additional artists to be added as we approach the event. Keep checking the site for more names!
Atlantic City is centrally located along the populated eastern seaboard and is conveniently accessible to tens of millions of people by car, bus, train and airplane throughout the year..
Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel
2 Convention Blvd
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Looking for a great deal on a hotel room? We have it for you! PES has managed to arrange a fantastic room rate of $115 at the attached Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel. The hotel is a non-gaming, upscale, business-class hotel. Centrally located, the hotel is within minutes of exciting local entertainment including “The Walk” which is adjacent to the hotel and features over 100 retail shops, outlets, restaurants and entertainment.
Reservations (Group rate available until December 21, 2012 and is subject to availability)
The Atlantic City Expressway, White Horse Pike (Route 30) and Black Horse Pike (Route 322/40) offer quick and convenient highway access to Atlantic City when traveling by car. Dozens of surface pay parking lots are sprinkled throughout the city. The Wave parking garage, located at the foot of the Atlantic City Expressway on the corner of Mississippi and Fairmount avenues, offers 1,180 spaces in the heart of downtown Atlantic City.
Atlantic City International Airport, located just 10 minutes outside of the city, and Spirit Airlines offer year-round non-stop flights from Tampa, Orlando, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach and West Palm Beach. Spirit Airlines also offers seasonal non-stop flights from Detroit, Chicago, Boston and Atlanta.
Philadelphia International Airport is just a short one hour drive via the Atlantic City Expressway.
Rail service to and from Atlantic City is provided by NJ Transit, which arrives at the rail terminal adjacent to the Atlantic City Convention Center. The NJ TRANSIT commuter rail network is comprised of 11 lines and three different divisions: the Hoboken division, the Newark division and the Atlantic City Rail Line, which provides train service between Atlantic City and Philadelphia.
NJ TRANSIT bus routes run between Manhattan, Philadelphia and a number of New Jersey cities, including Atlantic City, Jersey City, Trenton, Camden and Newark.
Visit the Atlantic City Convention & Visitors Authority website for all the information you could want about Atlantic City.
Tournament Organizer: Professional Event Services
Web site: www.professional-events.com
Atlantic City Convention Center
One Convention Boulevard
Atlantic City, NJ 08401