Factoids from Australian Nationals
(As a feature for Sideboard Online readers, the Sideboard staff has compiled interesting observations from this event.)
- This is the 3rd Australian Nationals tournament held in Canberra; prior to that Nationals were held in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane respectively.
- Players ranged in ages from 10 to 40.
- Five players drove 4 days across Australia from Perth (3953 km or 2456 miles) to play in the meat grinder tournaments. This distance is roughly the same as driving from Las Vegas, Nevada to New York City.
- Darren Williams and Rod Ho have qualified and played in every single Australian Nationals. Rod Ho was the National Champion two years in a row - 1997 and 1998.
- The continent of Australia is larger than Europe.
- Australia was founded by settlers from England in 1788 as a penal colony.
- Australia will host Grand Prix-Sydney in November, 2000.
- This weekend is a holiday in Australia - Monday is the "Queen's Birthday".
- It's less than 100 days until the Olympics in Sydney.
- Mark Brown, Level 3 judge is the head judge for Australian Nationals this year.
- The Australian Team will travel over 24 hours by plane to reach the 2000 World Championships.
- Australia is made up of six states and two territories. They are: New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, Australian Capital Territory and Northern Territory.
- The Tasmanian Devil one of the most vicious animals found in Australia.